Tuesday, May 29, 2007



We were supposed to have burritos that night. Colin, Anne, and Dax were on their way and I had just finished up cleaning the house. All I had left to do was brush my teeth and I was ready.

Then, nothing.

It's weird when it happens. There is no warning. The pets don't get jittery. There are no dark clouds in the sky. The hair on my neck doesn't stand up. Everything that I'm physically aware of just stops. Then, in unison, every muscle in my body decides it's just going to work out for a bit. That's where the twitching comes from. When your bicep and triceps decide to flex at the same time there is a conflict of direction. Now picture every muscle in your body doing it. It's not pretty and it hurts like a bitch when you come to. Contrary to popular belief when you wake up it is not darkness that you see, but this big sheet of white that slowly lets in shape and form. Oh yeah, this is the best part, you don't remember anything. Not who you are. Where you live. Nothing. Eventually it does return, but for a few minutes it's like everything is a distant memory and you are getting reacquainted with things like fingers, walls and whatever you may have landed on.

This image is all that I remember from the last episode. I hate using the term seizure just about as much as I hate having them. When I came to I recall Colin's expression more then who he was. I'd seen it no my parents face many times growing up and without him speaking I knew what had happened. The recognition part took a little bit, but when it did I was never more happy to see him.

11 comments:

Colin Fix said...

Holy Crap. That was some scary shit, you weren't "you" when you were seizing, and 15, 20 minutes later you "woke up". And to hear you answer the paramedics questions wrong, like- "do you know your age?" was freaky. I'm glad we were there though, now you're back in fuckin' action!!! Really cool image too.

Ron Bowman said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. I hope everything turned out ok. Hally's brother has the same problem. I never witnessed it but his last seizure was a couple of years ago when he was in the shower and home alone. It was pretty scary.

dyee said...

Damn! Glad you're ok. It was good you had friends there to help you out. You should try to go out and eat burritos every night with friends, just to be safe ;) Oh yeah, dope drawing too!

Anthony said...

good to hear you're safe. my sister use to have episodes when she was younger. they're pretty scary to witness. good thing your friends were there. interesting image- 12monkeys'ish.

The Pencil Box said...

Damn bro, I haven't been in the blog world for a minute...and you droppin this...wow Ian,I hope your doing well.

Noah Klocek said...

That is frigging crazy. I saw the picture first and though, "Man that looks like Colin looking at someone laying on the floor". Then I read the story. Holy crap that is scary. I hope you are doing better.

sylv1K said...

very good work, bravo et bonne continuation!!

Annie Fix said...

jimmy--

sorry i haven't commented in a long time--

i love this piece, the way you have the light bouncing off colin's head is a very nice touch. very well drawn too.

and yes, that was a very scary night, i am glad you are okay. ---stay on those meds! ;)

Sarah Forrester said...

gosh, I meant to comment on this a while ago. This was really interesting to read, especially since I've never gone through anything like it. It must have been so scary- I'm so glad that you were okay!

llq said...

pretty good post. I lawful stumbled upon your blog and wanted to command that I get really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any condition I’ ll be subscribing to your maintain and I hope you despatch again soon cheap mobile phone.

llq said...

pretty good post. I lawful stumbled upon your blog and wanted to command that I get really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any condition I’ ll be subscribing to your maintain and I hope you despatch again soon Wedding Dresses 2011 .